Hi there... remember me? My name is Maureen and I used to blog.
And do some artsy / craftsy things too.
But when my dear 8 year old HP laptop died about 10 days ago, I was forced to make a huge decision.
Replace it with another PC or finally bite the bullet and go Apple? I love my iPhone and iPad, but since I have quite a bit of Windows-based imaging and web-building software, I decided to hunt down a new PC laptop. When I got to the store however, I learned that I could run BOTH Windows and Apple on a MacBook Pro.
My dream come true!
I have always wanted a Mac, so because I am a University faculty member and since Apple is running a special offer for the beginning of the school year, I finagled a deal for over $200 off a new MacBook! (I know, I am bad and/or damn lucky - it never hurts to ask!).
Needless to say, since I brought it home, I have been on a steep learning curve (oh and he talks - WITH an English accent thankyouverymuch). He, erm, IT is wonderful... everything is running great; I have my old Windows programs back, new software to learn with a $150 App Store credit and because I am vigilant in backing up, I didn't lose anything when my ex-HP bit the dust (may it Rest In Peace).
It is so wonderful to be back.
Oh and before my Crises Of The Expired Laptop occurred, I was busy every night on a rather large Halloween project that I will be revealing when I get back to completing it.
I did however, finish a smaller project I am ready to share today though:
A domino book! I have seen these on many Pinterest boards, on Laura's website and on YouTube. Using 1" x 2" sized dominoes, you create a book using accordion-folded paper, ribbon and whatever you fancy to decorate it.
Mine is all about birds...
Using a dimensional sticker from Jolee's, I replaced the ribbon with a length of chain at the top and attached it to the front of my book. I then stamped some Inkadinkado birds, coloured them all in black (some were just outlines) cut them out individually and added them to each page. The last page features an empty birdcage with open door - it's a charm that I dyed with black alcohol ink. The background was created with Ranger Distress inks and rub-ons from Basic Grey.
The edges of the dominoes were painted black with a Copic marker. The ribbon is silvery seam binding. Here's a shot of the back with patterned paper, distress inked edges and another rub-on.
I really love how alcohol inks react on smooth non-porous surfaces. I inked both dominoes with black and white ink and added some Alcohol Blending Solution to create this great mottled effect:
A fun little project I have wanted to try for some time now!
Weekend Lamb Camp
7 hours ago