One of the best things about Karen's "Where Bloggers Create" party is finding new blogs to visit and new ideas to discover. Last year, one such fellow party-goer was Laura at Artfully Musing, a talented lady who has done numerous YouTube crafting tutorials. I recently came across her Matchbook Chest project and planned to make one myself... but instead of her pretty Shabby Chic style,
|Laura's beautiful Matchbook Cabinets|
I wanted to create one that fit more into the decor of my Victorian Studio.
I watched her two-part video and realized the only thing I had to buy was the set of 10 matchbook boxes; a whole dollar investment. The rest of the supplies and tools I had on hand.
You may be wondering what the heck those gold thingys are in the center of the photo above. Well, a long time ago, I purchased a "Fastenator" - a tool for wide decorative staples. I looked at the staples and thought I could make brass pulls out of them for my version of a wooden card-file type cabinet (a teenie-tiny version of the ones I adore in my own Studio!)
I snapped the staples apart, folded in the prongs on 10 and cut another 5 in half to create the pull and the method by which I could attach them to my little drawers.
Using E-6000, I created my little drawer handles. I can slide in itsy-bitsy labels, but I like the brass showing, so I shall leave them empty for now.
A combination of Ranger's "Vintage Photo" Distress ink and E29 Copic marker coloured each drawer; I left the inside bare as I would be papering them anyway.
Here's how those prongs came in handy; they were perfect to run right through the front of the drawer (I pierced two holes first) and then folded them back (one up, one down) to secure. I also used E6000 behind the face plates to ensure they would hold, as matchbook drawers tend to be a tight fit.
To make the drawers slide in and out easier, I also trimmed the sides of each drawer before colouring, and bent down the back as seen below.
Then I had to find paper to line the drawers. I needed something with a very small pattern, to stay in proportion with the dresser size. I found the perfect solution in Tim Holtz' paper stack, and used the smallest versions of 10 different patterns, cut to size and laid in each drawer (no glue necessary!)
I love the way they look like each drawer has paints, stamps, stamp pads, old newspaper liners, maps...
Next up was gluing each box together to make two columns of five drawers. Then after they dried, I wrapped the top, back and bottom with a strip of brown cardstock (a step Laura doesn't do) so my chipboard would have something to adhere to on the back. I also began by applying the back chipboard panel first. She starts with the sides, but I didn't want the edge at the back to show. So here's the back panel attached (I inked the edges first):
Then the sides and top. As I added each piece, I used my Copic marker to colour them in, creating what I hoped look like wood grain:
The bottom was attached last. I took a piece of dense foam, carved it at an angle with a breadknife, painted it and glued the cabinet on it's new base.
Done! Here's the finished cabinet with a penny added to the photo for scale:
It's the teeniest-tiniest set of file drawers I have ever owned.
Thank you Laura, for your great tutorial and inspiration!