Salvage Hunters (think UK version of American / Canadian Pickers) that I knew I wanted to use it for my sign!
The first step was getting the proper graphics; so of course I headed over to The Graphics Fairy and hunted around for something ornate for the background / frame. I found an antique sheet music graphic and changed it up a bit for my use, adding text and a pointing hand image too.
I will admit, I didn't know how the heck I was going to transfer this onto the board. I reviewed Karen's DIY site on the many transfer techniques, and after trying the "wax paper method" without success (no matter what I did, the paper would jam up my printer), I decided to try method #1 using pastels! I flipped my final printed page over and rubbed the back with black pastel.
Then I taped it in place on the board, and using a fine embossing tool (she used a ballpoint pen), I traced the image onto the board.
It worked great! Because I want this to look aged, it didn't have to be perfect.
Next I got out all my black pens, black Copics, ballpoints and even Sharpies to trace over the pastel rubbed onto the board.
Voila! I am really pleased with the result:
This shelf is where it will stay... I was going to thread some old rope through the holes, but I think I shall just leave them be. To me, it looks like where the old sign would have hung from a bracket! ;)
A really fun, easy project that didn't take long at all to complete, thanks to Karen at The Graphics Fairy!