Are you looking for my 2014 "Where Bloggers Create" post?

You can find it HERE.


Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Tim Holtz Tags of 2014 - August

Well August is nearly over, which means I finally am getting around to making Tim's Tag of the month. Nearly late, as usual (well, at least I am consistent...).


This month Tim challenged us to just follow our creative muse... since we are all individuals, we each have our own unique style. His sample tag is a mixture of colour, texture, steampunk and whimsy - so very Tim!

I gathered some supplies and got to work... er, FUN work! Again I set out to create two tags - one for me and one for display at The Scrapbook Cottage.


After cutting my tags from white cardstock using Tim's Tag & Bookplates Bigz die, I stamped various images in Archival ink - with the focal-point impressed over some tissue tape.


I broke out the Gesso and used Tim's Eye Chart stencil to mimic the same design in his stamp set.


Love the way it stays raised even after drying.


After swiping the tag through Antique Linen, Wild Honey and Walnut Stain inks, I laid another stencil (Dot Fade) over top and pounced some Walnut Stain Distress ink to create a dotted pattern randomly over the tag.


His rub-on sets are fab for finding a great saying... using his shears, I cut out "life observations" from the sheet. Good thing there are two sheets per package - I cut both out to use one on each tag! I added them to Vial Labels that were sanded and inked. I secured the labels and a strip of Film Strip Ribbon onto the tag with the Mini Attacher.


I also added a few metal embellishments: a Game Spinner arrow, Ring Fastener and chain (the latter two were inked with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint). I made my own "monocle" with two random round metal pieces I found in my stash:  one was an earring in a former life, the other a simple metal ring, attaching them to a round clear acrylic Ideology Fragments Charm using Glossy Accents. A few jump rings attached the monocle to the chain and the tag.


After gluing the tag onto heavier chipboard for stability, I distressed, inked and added some Vintage Photo Distress Powder (for a rusty texture) around the edges. The final touch was threading Black and Wild Honey Jute String through the tag hole.


I could have added more to the tag, but in this case, I think less is more... when I looked it over at this point, I declared it "Done".


I love the way the eye charts, eye, monocle and sayings all came together...


Which reminds me - I am really, really overdue for an eye exam and new glasses!


Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hudson The Polar Bear

I've been spending a lot of time lately on Ravelry and knitting up a few projects. One of my most recent discoveries while reading the forum posts over there are the many podcasts available to either listen to (audio podcasts) or watch (video podcasts). It's quite addictive, informative and entertaining... and the plethora of podcasts means there is probably at least one (and likely many more) for any hobby you can think of.

My most favorite video podcast is called "The Bakery Bears" from Kay and Dan, a sweet couple in the U.K. who BOTH knit! They are fairly new but such fun to watch while I am knitting too. This husband/wife team (with cameos from their darling daughter) discuss a mix of yarn creations and .... Star Wars! They also treat their viewers to tours of the incredible history around their Darlington home in northern England.

Kay has even designed her own stuffed toy patterns called Mr and Mrs Bakery Bears, awesome teddies that can be knit (most stuffed toys are crocheted, but I just can't get the hang of that yet). So I purchased a Mr Bakery Bear pattern a few days ago. Until now I have only been searching the thousands of free patterns there, but this was so cute and well written it was worth the small charge!


I rummaged through my stash to find some white, black and peach yarn and got started on my first bear... naming him "Hudson" after Hudson the Polar Bear at Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park Zoo - the star of our new International Polar Bear Conservation Program.



I changed the pattern around a bit... adding pink inside the ears (so that the outside of the back of the ears are still white) and I made the arms larger with big paws - Kay designed hers with straight thin arms that are static. When I attached Hudson's, I ran the yarn ends through the torso in such a way that his arms rotate. I also got some nice blue beads and with a Sharpie, coloured in the pupils for the eyes. They are attached with embroidery thread.


Next I made the legs... I veered from the pattern just a tad and made them so that they move too, rounding the tops of the thighs as well. Kay designed hers to come straight out the bottom of the body section.


Lastly, I added a teenie tail! The pattern didn't call for one, but since I wasn't making clothes for this bear (a sweater and pants come in the pattern set as well), I thought the tail would be cute.


What a quick knit and such an easy pattern to follow!


This was so much fun to make -- I think know I shall be creating more...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...